If you’re considering undergoing breast augmentation surgery to enhance the size of your chest, then you’ve probably found yourself wondering which type of breast implants you should opt for: silicone or saline. What are the main differences between the two? How will silicone or saline implants impact your breast augmentation results? How long do implants last and do they need to be replaced? Are a few of the most common factors affecting implant selection.
Making the choice between these two types of implants can be a tough decision. Fortunately, we can help make that decision easier by exploring the pros and cons between the two:
- The Look and Feel: Most patients want to enjoy breast augmentation results that look and feel as natural as possible. With this in mind, silicone implants “feel” more natural, as they’re softer and have a reduced chance of rippling.* Saline implants can feel harder, but they can be good for patients with asymmetrical breasts.*
- Safety: Both implant types are safe; however, it’s worth noting that patients need to be at least 22 years old to get silicone implants, whereas a patient only has to be 18 to get saline implants.*
- Material: Saline implants are made out of a thin silicone shell and are filled with a saltwater solution. Silicone implants, on the other hand, are made entirely of silicone. Should a saline implant leak, it’s immediately noticeable, which means the patient can return to her plastic surgeon to undergo corrective surgery at her convenience. Silicone implant rupture may not be immediately noticeable, but should be replaced as soon as it is recognized.
- Cost: In general, silicone implants cost about $1000 more than saline implants. This does not include the cost of MRIs that patients will need to undergo in the years following surgery.
- Replacement: Implants only need to be replaced if there are issues like rupture or capsular contraction. Otherwise, most plastic surgeons will discuss replacement at 10 years, which is how long implants are covered under warranty.
Do you have additional questions about which type of implant is right for you? Contact Illuminate Plastic Surgery in Palo Alto, CA for an evaluation to determine if you’re an ideal candidate for a breast augmentation procedure. Call 650.433.8621 today to book an appointment with Dr. David Boudreault.